Sunday, January 25, 2009

Do What Mom Did - drink coffee!

In this society, we are often over zealous on what and what not to drink or eat. Today, I am remembering my mom (or "mother" as she preferred to be called) and her living habits. She listened but did not change her living habits when a news article came out saying - don't eat this, do drink this, that is bad for your health, etc etc. What she did do was give me a pattern that seems to work out in the long run. She told me when she was 86 years old, when I was telling her I needed to cut down my intake of coffee - "Hey, I am 86 and I drink lots of coffee every day. You like coffee? Drink it. Your body says it is good for you." Keep in mind that my dear wife says - "don't drink so much coffee; it is bad for you." Well, I can go to sleep on several cups, sooooo .... Different strokes for different folks.

Today as I was reading the news, I came across yet another scientific study that says coffee has its possible benefits (isn't it odd that there is such a reluctance to commit to a conclusion?), so that is my motivation for speaking out on this. Give me coffee. I got a cup in my hand right now!

So I am sharing the news with you. Starbucks is a health joint(maybe I should be a bit more politically sensitive - there are other health joints out there). If you want to avoid Dementia - drink coffee. If you want to lower your risk of Parkinson's disease or lower your chances of arterial disease, drink coffee. OK, now I am stretching this a little, yet I have read several articles on the subject this morning and the conclusion is that coffee is perhaps not bad for you and in fact perhaps good. See? I can be non-committal also. Java now, Java tomorrow, Java forever! My pot of java is mine to drink.

You can Google this yourself, but I will give you the New York Times story that started all of this today. "Coffee Linked to Lower Dementia Risk" If you want to see a pretty nice summary of health effects, you might look at this web page - Coffee Science Information Center - summary of findings

No comments: