Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Sunday - Family and National Day

It just can't get better than this! Some call Superbowl Sunday a national holiday. And in reality, that it is. Who can miss the show's television preamble? Some can but it gets a lot of attention by sports fans. It is the time for the best of the beat singing of the national anthem, the best of the best salutes to our military, the best of entertainment in twelve minutes you will get anywhere. A day of national pride and excitement. OK, we may have a gender issue here, but that has been gradually changing in this country for decades. So families get together, eat snacks and sweets, drink beer and wine, send text messages, if some are out of town, and generally tease each other and root for opposing teams as much as possible. Save your voice for Superbowl day; you will need it! Popcorn, chips, hamburgers, hot dogs, cookies on top of beer, what a way to spend a Sunday afternoon! What do you use for your stomach recovery? I could not even sit down during the last quarter! But I kept shoveling it in.

Now there is DVR! What a great invention for a Superbowl game! I can watch the game twice now, but I am not inclined to watch the game itself on the second viewing. I will replay the commercials! Yes, you heard me right. I love super commercials and only got a taste of them. I did what I had to do during commercials so that I would not miss a moment of the game itself. I am freezing the game in "do not delete" mode, to protect my game from my wife and kids. No soap opera can write over it now.

How about that tribute to our troops? As the jets flew in formation over the stadium, my wife saw the excitement in my eyes. She said, "I am going to buy you some Superbowl tickets one day." That I cannot argue against. Remember when we had the Superbowl here in Houston? My entire family went downtown the evening before the game, like many of you did, to enjoy the crowds and their enthusiasm as the big day approached. That was well worth the trip and time!

2009? It was a great year. In a couple of weeks, we can start thinking about 2010! When is Congress finally going to make this a national holiday anyway?

No comments: